We are proud to be the first and only practices in Kwa-Zulu Natal to offer Guided Biofilm Therapy®. With the arrival of our swiss-made EMS® master prophylaxis units we now offer our patients the best possible care to preserve oral health and prevent disease. Also known as GBT®, guided biofilm therapy is a revolutionary breakthrough in the management of the biofilm.
What is Biofilm?
Dental biofilm is the main factor that causes tooth decay, periodontal disease, and peri-implant infections. Dental biofilm contains several different types of bacteria, some more harmful than others. As the biofilm increases in thickness and ‘matures’, the concentration of harmful bacteria increases and becomes harder to remove. Prolonged exposure of oral tissues to these bacteria leads to periodontal disease, which can increase the risk of systemic diseases, such as cardiovascular and respiratory disease, arthritis, and diabetes. Regular oral hygiene, combined with professional measures, keeps biofilm under control – for better oral and systemic health.
What is Guided Biofilm Therapy?
Guided Biofilm Therapy is the systematic and predictable management of dental biofilm using professional prophylaxis technologies that are proven by scientific evidence. The GBT® treatment protocol is based on your individual diagnosis and risk assessment to achieve optimal results. The treatment is therefor given in the least invasive way, with the highest level of comfort, safety, and efficiency. The GBT® protocol includes oral hygiene instructions, patient education and motivation to maintain natural teeth and implants for as long as possible.
What to Expect
The Guided Biofilm Therapy experience is vastly different from conventional cleaning methods. Conventional cleaning methods make use of vibrating ultrasonic instruments, sharp hand instruments and prophy pastes that will undoubtedly cause damage to the surfaces of your teeth, crowns and bridges, and implants. The EMS® Prophylaxis Master unit combines air, water, and powder in a controlled way to achieve a stream of fast-moving particles, capable of cleaning and polishing your teeth. The size and structure of the powder molecules have been specially developed to ensure its safety and achieve maximum efficacy. This enables the unit, to not only clean and polish teeth, but also to effectively clean braces, crowns and bridges, and implants, without causing damage to the respective materials. Whether you have periodontal disease or the perfect set of teeth, the EMS® Prophylaxis Master unit now provides the most effective tool for prophylaxis.
We perform a general clinical assessment:
- We will assign and discuss your risk profile.
- Classification and early overall diagnosis.
- You will start by rinsing with Curasept® mouthrinse.
We Make the Biofilm visible:
- You will be able to see problematic areas.
- The disclosing agent will guide biofilm removal.
- Once biofilm is removed, calculus and caries is easier to detect.
We raise awareness and educate:
- Methods of prevention will be discussed.
- Oral hygiene instructions will be given and demonstrated.
- Correct toothbrushes, interproximal brushes, floss and mouth-rinses will be recommended.
We then remove the biofilm, stains and early calculus:
- We use the AIRFLOW® for natural teeth, restorations and implants.
- We also remove biofilm from the gingiva, tongue and palate.
We then remove biofilm in deeper pockets:
- We use a special powder in deep pockets, root furcations and exposed implants (if present).
- This method is far less painful than conventional methods.
06 PIEZON® PS
We remove the remaining calculus:
- We use minimally invasive techniques to remove supra- and subgingival calculus.
07 FINAL CHECK
We make sure you love your smile:
- We do a final check for any remaining biofilm.
- We ensure that all calculus is fully removed.
- An accurate diagnosis of carious teeth is then done.
- We apply a topical fluoride for protection.
08 NEXT VISIT
Healthy Teeth = Happy Teeth:
- Escalate any further dental concerns.
- Schedule your next appointment according to your risk profile.
- Frequent oral hygiene visits takes priority.
GBT is for Everyone
GBT® is a specialized treatment that benefits everyone. GBT® makes the cleaning process less invasive and far more pleasant than conventional cleaning methods. GBT® plays an important role in maintaining oral health, while also helping to prevent and control systemic diseases such as atherosclerosis, respiratory problems, erectile dysfunction, diabetes, heart problems and more.
For more information on oral hygiene in Umhlanga or to request an appointment - get in touch with us now.
We are available during normal office hours. Click the link or dial +27 31 566 5142.
Alternatively you may start a chat on Whatsapp. Click this easy link on your phone to start.